11 October 2010

Modern English in America



I often hear people talk about how poorly English is spoken and written in America today. Who hasn't seen the Facebook page "Click LIKE if you know the difference between there, their, and they're. They are not interchangeable"? The whole thing seems like a load of shit to me. I make these errors all the time and I know they're not interchangeable. Usually right after I send a text or email, I reread it and immediately notice that I've written your rather than you're. Eh, what are you gonna do after the cow has already left the barn? 

The fellas at my work slaughter the English language on a daily basis. Most of them pronounce "wheel" as "will". I admit it's mildly amusing, but everybody in the room understands the point of whats being said. I heard a guy use the made up word "frutation" several times. I gently told him that it's fruition. He didn't fully believe me, but it was no big deal. He's a smart guy who made a mistake. Keep reading my blog and I'll be making enough mistakes to embarrass my high school English teacher! I do have a small Oxford English Dictionary and several other grammar books to help me, but what the heck, I'm lazy! I also have a dictionary iPhone app that I consult often. I'm trying to be better, but at the same time I realize it's not a priority in other peoples lives. 

My advice? Do what makes you happy. If you are happy with your level of language, and it fits your social circle, great! Me? I'll always strive to improve. I have a feeling that most people will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment